In this post, I will help you decide which is the Best Roti Tawa for your kitchen. You can cook items like chapati, parathas and make some omelets as well.
Best Roti Tawa – How to Choose One
In this section, you will learn what are features to look for before buying a roti tawa.
1. Size of the Tawa: Roti Tawas comes in different sizes. You have to look at this parameter before choosing the tawa to buy. Usually, tava’s range from 8 inches to 16-inch diameters. No need to say that, it totally depends on what you prefer to cook and how large the rotis or chapatis to you want cook.
2. Roti Tawa Material:
This is the most important factor to look at as far as I concern. The material of any cooking utensil is most important for your family’s health. There wide variety of chapati tawas available in the market right now. Here are they –
- Cast Iron Tawa for Roti
- NonStick Roti Tawa
- Hard-Anodized Aluminum Tawa
- Granite Tawa
There are two things to consider before you decide upon the material of choice for making roti at home.
The tawa needs to be thin in size to evenly distribute the heat on the sides as well.
Cast Iron Tawa is best for your health. Cast iron will last a lifetime. This heavy iron tawa can retain heat really well and safe for your health.
Aluminum Chapati Tawa is cheap compare to cast iron but it is not good for your health. High aluminium intake may be harmful to some patients with bone diseases or renal impairment. It also reduces the growth rate of human brain cells. If you still want to enjoy the benefits of aluminium, you may prefer tawas with hard anodized surfaces.
I strongly recommend you to chose cast iron tawa over aluminium tawa because of its health benefits. You might face difficulty in using cast iron roti tawa in the beginning, but over time, it will be more easy use.
Stainless steel tawa is the 2nd best option if you prefer less maintenance.
3. Non-Stick Roti Tawa: You don’t need this if you are thinking of buying one for your kitchen. Non-stick tawas are hazardous to your health. Strictly stay away from any non-stick Teflon coated cooking appliances.
Usually, non-stick Tawas are used to avoid the hassle of roti sticking to the pan. You can achieve more or less the same result by using ghee to keep the roti from sticking to the pan when cooking.
Non-stick Tawas will release harmful chemicals when heated that will eventually add to the recipe. Just go for cast iron cookware or other healthy alternatives like bronze, brass, or even stainless steel cookware.
4. Handle Material: Most of the branded Tawas are provided with sturdy and heatproof plastic handles. You don’t need to worry much about this as long as you go with the good brands mentioned below.
Top 5 Roti (Chapati) Tawas to Buy
In this section, I will introduce you to the best roti tawa options available on amazon. You can find the Best Cast Iron Roti Tawa, Best Stainless Steel Roti Tawa, Best Hard Anodized Roti Tawa and Best Non-Stick Roti Tawa.
1. Meyer Induction Base Cast Iron Tawa
Iron tawa is the best option for healthy cooking.
Meyer tawa is also compatible with induction cooking as well. You can use this tawa on a gas stove or induction stove.
The size of the tawa is 26cm.
It comes with a lifetime warranty.
Cast Iron Roti Tawa’s are totally toxin-free.
Cast iron tawa is heavy to lift.
This is a bit costly compare to toxic non-stick tawas. But it is totally worth spending on cast iron tawa.
This is the author’s choice of Best Tawa for Roti and Paratha & Best Induction Roti Tawa.
2. Hawkins Futura Hard Anodised Roti Tawa (22cm)
Hawkins is one of the best kitchen appliances brand in India. They are in the market with so many kitchen products and trusted brands among Indian households.
Hard Anodised Roti Tawa can used if you want light weight tawa and also cheap in price when compared cast iron tawas.
Hawkins Futura Hard Anodised Tawa comes in 22cm size. You may choose to buy a large tawa as well if you wish by selecting the options provided on amazon site.
You will also have an option to chose between stainless steel handle or a plastic handle as per you wish and comfort.
You can also choose between Hard Anodised, Non-Stick, Hard Anodised Extra Thick, Nonstick Extra Thick chapati tawas as per your need.
Extra thick roti tawa is useful for
Hawkins Extra thick tawa diameter is 260mm.
You should also check whether the product that you choose is induction compatible and dishwasher safe (if you have or planning to own a dishwasher)
Warranty is not mentioned explicitly on the sales page but you will get a warranty card for this product.
3. Prestige Hard Anodised Induction Base Paratha Tawa
Prestige is another best cooking appliance brand in India. This product comes with a 265mm diameter.
Hard anodized product is nothing but an aluminum tawa.
When aluminum is subjected to a chemical process, it will result in even harder and more durable cookware.
Even though it was mentioned as paratha tawa, you can use it for making roti, chapati or even dosa.
Prestige roti tawa is induction friendly. You can use the Tawa on a gas stove or induction stove.
Warranty: 2 Years.
4. Prestige Omega Deluxe Granite Omni Non-Stick Roti Tawa
Prestige roti granite tawa with nonstick coating.
It is one additional option if you are looking for variety.
It is not pure granite tawa. It is a Nonstick aluminum tawa with a granite-finish coating.
It is a metal spoon friendly and dishwasher safe tawa.
Warranty: 2 years
Gas and Induction Friendly
This is a non-stick tawa.
5. Dynamic Cookwares Pre-seasoned Cast Iron Dosa/Roti/Pizza Tawa
Cast iron tawa from dynamic cookware is compatible to make roti, chapati, and dosa.
This is a pre-seasoned cast iron Tawa.
It is compatible with a gas stove and induction stove.
It is 11 inches in size.
The company claims that it is naturally non-stick. This means it is not having any harmful coating but it is non-sticky in nature.
This is will be the best non-stick Tawa for roti without the use of toxic materials.
It can be used to cook a Variety of delicacies like dosa, roti & paratha.
You can also Bake Cakes, pies, biscuits & pizza.
Roti Tawa can also be used to Roast.
Best Roti/ Paratha Tawa – FAQs
These are the most commonly asked questions in online communities. I will answer all the questions below. Before asking any doubts in the comments section, pls read the FAQs section.
1. Which Tawa is best for roti?
Ans: In my opinion, one should use cast iron tawa if you are health conscious. If don’t care about your health and you only mind about your comfort in the kitchen, you can choose hard-anodized aluminum tawa.
Among the top 5 recommended roti tawas, I suggest you buy ‘Meyer Induction Base Cast Iron Tawa’.
2. Can we make roti on an induction cooktop?
Ans: To make roti on an induction cooktop, you just need to ensure that the roti tawa that bought is induction compatible.
If it is induction compatible roti/ chapati tawa, you can make roti just like you make rotis on gas stove or any other heating source.
3. What is the difference between a regular cast iron tawa and a pre-seasoned iron tava?
Ans: A Pre-seasoned cast iron Tawa means a coating of wax or vegetable oil has been applied to prevent cast iron tawa from rusting while it sits on shelves.
It will enable the consumer to use the tawa straight out of the box.
Whereas regular cast iron tawa need to be seasoned to effectively use the product.
I personally do not prefer pre-seasoned tawa because we do not really know what the manufacturer has really used to make it ‘pre-seasoned’.
So, I recommend you to buy regular cast iron tawa and season it before making roti, chapati, or parathas.
4. How to season cast iron chapati tawa?
Ans: The process of cast iron seasoning is as follows –
- Wash, Rinse and dry your tawa. Wash with soap water, scrub with nonmetalic brush and clean with dry cloth.
- Pour some flax seed oil or any other vegetable oil over the cooking area of the tawa in order to properly carbonize the seasoning process.
- Heat the pan on the gas stove and try to apply the oil all over the cooking area with a paper towel.
- Apply even more oil to make it aboserbed by the pan to some extent.
- Heat the pan and wait until the pan starts to smoke and keep it that way for another 3 minutes.
- Let the pan cool for 10 minutes and wipe off the oil with paper cloth.
- Then rinse off the oil under. Do not use the soap or detergent this time. Just use your hands or a wet cloth to dry your roti tawa.
5. Is Cast Iron Tawa good for roti?
Ans: You can make much better rotis on cast iron pan than markets favorite nonstick pan.
6. What can I use instead of a Tawa to make roti?
Ans: You can use a fry pan or griddle in case you are looking for alternatives.
7. What is the difference between roti and chapati?
Ans: Not much difference. Roti are cooked dry (without oil), whereas chapati’s are much thicker and cooking oil is applied.
8. What can you cook on a Tawa?
Ans: Apart from making roti, chapati, paratha, and dosa, the tava can be used to fry foods, to cook chaat, pav bhaji, and tawa masala. Fish, meat can be fried on tawa.
This is the end of FAQs section.
Hope I have answered all your doubts and helped you make an informed decision in buying a roti tawa for your healthy life. Leave a comment if you still cant decide which tawa to buy to make roti, chapati, paratha, and dosa. Thank You…